The legal drinking age in America is 21, but that doesn’t stop the youth from partaking in underage drinking. About 24% of 10th graders in the U.S. consume alcohol at least once in a month and those are just the ones that will admit it. And with the legal age for driving in most states being 16, it becomes a recipe for disaster. A study shows that 1 in every 10 underage driver drinks and drives in the country and this can often lead to DUI arrests.
The great state of Florida has ‘zero tolerance’ policies and laws for underage drinking and driving. And if you get pulled over and subsequently booked for a DUI in Florida as a minor, then you should make sure that you have Mr. Arnesen, one of the best DUI lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in your corner; you will be facing the following possible penalties for your DUI offense otherwise:
• Suspension of the driver license or permit, whichever is applicable.
• Possible jail time in a juvenile detention facility, the period can vary depending on whether you are a repeat offender or not.
• The court may ask you to attend a mandatory alcohol treatment program.
• Restitution, i.e. you may have to pay for any damage caused as a result of an accident.
• Attending mandatory driving classes.
• Ignition Interlock device installation, which you will have to pay for yourself.
• Hours of community service, depending on the severity of your offense.
• Any possible fines that the judge may see fit to charge you.
Treatment as an Adult
The aforementioned penalties won’t be all that you may face if you are tried as an adult. In some cases, minors are charged as adults for their DUI offense and may face felony charges, which could have serious consequences. The likelihood of this scenario increases, if you have a previous criminal record or if your DUI resulted in an accident in which someone got hurt or lost their life.
In any case, you should make sure that you have the top DUI lawyer in your corner, fighting for your rights, because a DUI charge is something that can follow you for the rest of your life and it can cause you grief in the future. So, contact Arnesen Law, P.A. now and you will have an experienced lawyer representing you in court, who will make sure that your rights are taken care of in the legal proceedings.
Arnesen Law, P.A. is a criminal defense law firm based in Fort Lauderdale; the law firm has been serving the community of Fort Lauderdale and surrounding localities for years. The attorney at the helm of Arnesen Law, P.A. is Jay M. Arnesen. He is dedicated to helping the firm’s clients defend their rights.
For more information, please visit http://www.911defend.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Saffron_Samularia/1353755